Effective Date: May 25, 2018
The Humane League UK is a registered charity in England and Wales (registered charity number 1177926).
Data Protection Coordinator
The Humane League UK
PO Box 5438
Hove, East Sussex BN52 9EF
Or call: 0800 014 8081
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
This privacy notice governs the URL http://www.thehumaneleague.org.uk (the “website”) and certain communications sent out by The Humane League UK. The Humane League UK is the "data controller" of the personal data processed in connection with the website for the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation (the GDPR) (which applies across the European Union, including the United Kingdom), and the Data Protection Act 2018 (the Data Protection Act) which supplements GDPR and extends its application in the UK. Personal data is defined in the GDPR as any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
This policy contains information about:
- Why we collect information about you
- How we collect information about you
- Children’s privacy
- How your information is used
- When your information may be shared
- How long we keep your information
- Security and storage
- Third-party websites
- Your rights
- Changes to this policy
- How you can complain or contact us
Why we collect personal information about you
We hold and process supporters' and visitors’ personal data for a variety of reasons:
- To keep a record of donations made and actions taken by our supporters and our communications with them;
- To send our supporters marketing information about our activities, news, action alerts, and fundraising where we have their consent or are otherwise allowed to so;
- To fulfill contractual obligations entered into with supporters, e.g. online donations;
- To comply with legal obligations;
- To manage our organization; and
- To ensure we do not send unwanted information to supporters or members of the public who have informed us they do not wish to be contacted.
How we collect information about you
Information you provide
We collect information when you complete an online form (such as subscribing to our email updates or registering for our Fast Action Network), make a donation, sign a petition, or sign up to be a volunteer. This information may include your name, phone number, email address, and/or mailing address.
The Humane League UK does not see, store, or retain credit card numbers submitted online, which are processed directly through our payment processor partners, such as PayPal.
Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the service more useful to you. Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.
When you use and access the service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.
We use both session and persistent cookies on the service and we use different types of cookies to run the service:
- Functionality Cookies. These cookies allow our services to remember choices you make when you use our services, such dismissing a pop-up or displaying certain content.
- Analytics and Performance Cookies. These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our services and how users use our services. The information gathered does not identify any individual visitor. The information is aggregated and anonymous. It includes the number of visitors to our services, the websites that referred them to our services, the pages they visited on our services, what time of day they visited our services, whether they have visited our services before, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate services more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information, and to monitor the level of activity on our services.
We use Google Analytics for this purpose. The Humane League UK also uses Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting. Google Analytics uses its own cookies. It is only used to improve how our services work. You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies
Further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org and cookies.insites.com.
If you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our services. For example, we may not be able to recognize your computer or mobile device and you may need to log in every time you visit our services.
We may also use pixel tags (which are also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) on our services to track the actions of users on our services. Unlike cookies, which are stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website, pixel tags are embedded invisibly on webpages. Pixel tags measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the services, so that we can manage our content more effectively. The information we collect using pixel tags is not linked to our users’ personal information.
How your information is used
The laws on data protection provide a number of different reasons (legal basis) for organizations to collect and process your personal data. We generally process data on the basis that it is necessary for the pursuit of our legitimate interests. We process data to pursue our legitimate interests in ways which might reasonably be expected and which do not materially impact your rights, freedom, or interests. For example, by sending direct marketing information to keep our supporters updated on The Humane League UK campaigns, activities, news, and action alerts. We will only do this where we have reason to believe that this information will be of interest to you.
In circumstances where required by applicable law, we will rely on consent as a basis for processing personal data and we will specifically obtain your consent in the course of collecting the data. We may also need to collect and process your data if we are required to by law. We may also use data to improve our level of service. Where we do this, we do it to help inform us how to improve the way we work since both we and those we deal with have an interest in us doing so.
All emails received from The Humane League UK include a ‘Update your preferences’ link at the bottom that allows you to customize the type of electronic communication you receive from us, including the option to unsubscribe from all emails. You are also welcome to email us at email@example.com with unsubscribe requests. If you would like to opt out of receiving physical mail from us, please contact us using the above information and include your full name and mailing address so that we may update our system with your preferences.
We will use your personal information in a number of ways, including for the following purposes:
- To provide you with the services or information you have requested, such as news and action alerts
- To keep you updated on The Humane League’s campaigns
- To update you about any changes to our services
- To administer your donation, including Gift Aid processing
- To maintain our organisational records and ensure we have your most up-to-date marketing preferences
- To analyse and improve the operation of our website
- To analyse your website behaviour
When your information may be shared
We do use external organisations that collect and/or process personal data on our behalf. Before working with these companies we perform rigorous checks to ensure they meet all relevant regulations and legislation. We always implement a contract with our suppliers, which imposes robust data protection requirements, including the provisions of this policy, and seeks to provide maximum protection of your personal details.
Financial or technical considerations may occasionally lead us to use the services of a supplier based outside the European Economic Area (EEA), which in turn might lead to your personal information being transferred, processed, and stored outside the EEA. If these suppliers are based in countries that European Union authorities do not consider provide adequate levels of protection for personal data, we take steps to provide suitable safeguards to protect your personal information, such as entering into the European Commission approved standard contractual clauses. We may legally be required to disclose your details if required to by the police or for regulatory reasons. We will only ever share your data in other circumstances if we have your consent to do so.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Data
We keep your personal data for as long as necessary for the relevant activity. For example, we will keep a record of any donations subject to gift aid for the period of time required to comply with applicable tax rules.
If you ask us to stop sending you marketing materials, we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us.
Our legal basis for processing your information
Although in many cases we will seek consent to process your personal data, in some instances we may process your information without consent when we are legally allowed to do so. This will only be where it is in our legitimate interests to do so and where we are confident that such processing is not likely to prejudice your legitimate interests or rights and freedoms.
Where we are processing your personal data on the basis of consent that you have given us, you are entitled to withdraw that consent at any time such that we can no longer rely on it as a basis for continuing to process your personal information.
Security and Storage
We take the security of your personal information very seriously and utilize industry-standard security systems, software, and encryption technologies (Secure Sockets Layer) when transferring and storing personal data.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet or email is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted through the website or over email; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will take appropriate technical and organizational measures to safeguard your personal data against loss, theft and unauthorized use, access or modification.
Third Party Websites
- If you wish to access, correct, update, or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information, or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by emailing us at email@example.com.
- You have the right to opt-out of communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the "unsubscribe" or "opt-out" link in the emails we send you. You can also update the types of messages you would like to receive from us by clicking on the “update preferences” link in the emails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we reserve the right to keep any information in our archives that we deem necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Changes to this policy
This policy may change from time to time. If we make any significant changes to this policy, we will publicise these changes clearly on our website or contact you directly with more information. Please do revisit this policy each time you consider giving your personal information to The Humane League UK.
How you can complain or contact us
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how we process your personal data, please contact us in the first instance at email@example.com and we will endeavour to deal with your request. This is without prejudice to your right to launch a claim with the data protection supervisory authority in the UK or EU country in which you live or work where you think we have infringed data protection laws.
Contacting The Humane League UK
If you would like to contact The Humane League UK about correcting information we might have collected, or if you have any questions about this privacy notice, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or write to us at The Humane League UK, PO Box 5438, Hove, East Sussex BN52 9EF, United Kingdom.