Effective Date: May 25, 2018
We collect two types of information about you: personal information (such as, your name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address), and non-personal, aggregate information (such as information regarding the pages you have visited and your IP address).
Information you provide
Cookies are small pieces of text sent by your web browser by a website you visit. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows the service or a third-party to recognize you and make your next visit easier and the service more useful to you. Cookies can be "persistent" or "session" cookies.
When you use and access the service, we may place a number of cookies files in your web browser.
We use both session and persistent cookies on the service and we use different types of cookies to run the service:
- Functionality Cookies. These cookies allow our services to remember choices you make when you use our services, such dismissing a pop-up or displaying certain content. Additionally, some of our Functionality Cookies include those from our customer management platform, EveryAction, to remember choices you make when you use their Services, such as pre-filling a form from data from previous sign ups. The purpose of these cookies is to provide you with a more personal experience and to avoid you having to re-enter your information every time you fill out a form on our Services. You can find out more about EveryAction’s cookies at https://www.ngpvan.com/content/privacy-policy-eu-uk.
- Analytics and Performance Cookies. These cookies are used to collect information about traffic to our services and how users use our services. The information gathered does not identify any individual visitor. The information is aggregated and anonymous. It includes the number of visitors to our services, the websites that referred them to our services, the pages they visited on our services, what time of day they visited our services, whether they have visited our services before, and other similar information. We use this information to help operate services more efficiently, to gather broad demographic information, and to monitor the level of activity on our services.
We use Google Analytics for this purpose. Google Analytics uses its own cookies. It is only used to improve how our services work. You can find out more information about Google Analytics cookies here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/resources/concepts/gaConceptsCookies
You can typically remove or reject cookies via your browser settings. In order to do this, follow the instructions provided by your browser (usually located within the “settings,” “help” “tools” or “edit” facility). Many browsers are set to accept cookies until you change your settings.
Further information about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer or mobile device and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org and https://cookies.insites.com.
If you do not accept our cookies, you may experience some inconvenience in your use of our services. For example, we may not be able to recognize your computer or mobile device and you may need to log in every time you visit our services.
We may also use pixel tags (which are also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) on our services to track the actions of users on our services. Unlike cookies, which are stored on the hard drive of your computer or mobile device by a website, pixel tags are embedded invisibly on webpages. Pixel tags measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the services, so that we can manage our content more effectively. The information we collect using pixel tags is not linked to our users’ personal information.
California’s Online Privacy Protection Act
The California Online Privacy Protection Act protects your right to visit our website anonymously. Some Internet browsers - like Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Safari - include the ability to transmit “Do Not Track” or “DNT” signals. Since uniform standards for “DNT” signals have not been adopted, our websites do not currently process or respond to “DNT” signals. The Humane League takes privacy and meaningful choice seriously and will make efforts to continue to monitor developments around DNT browser technology and the implementation of a standard. To learn more about “DNT”, please visit All About Do Not Track. If you would like to opt out of Google Analytics specifically, try this browser add-on: Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
The Humane League does not knowingly collect or solicit any information from anyone under the age of 13. If we discover that information has been collected from a child under 13, it will be deleted from our system as quickly as possible. If you believe we have this type of information on file, please contact us immediately.
How your information is used
In addition to the tailoring of web content described above, your information may be used to contact you regarding updates and important information about The Humane League’s work, events, new services, donation opportunities, or changes to our policies.
All emails received from The Humane League include a ‘Update your preferences’ link at the bottom that allows you to customize the type of electronic communication you receive from us, including the option to unsubscribe from all emails. You are also welcome to email or call us (email@example.com, 888-211-5241) with unsubscribe requests. If you would like to opt out of receiving physical mail from us, please contact us using the above information and include your full name and mailing address so that we may update our system with your preferences.
When your information may be shared
We do not rent, trade, or sell email addresses. We may occasionally make names and mailing addresses of donors available in exchange for similar information from other organizations. This information is exchanged through licensed brokers and the recipient organizations do not receive your information unless you respond to their solicitation.
If you do not want your information shared with other organizations, please contact us using the information below with this request.
Information Security and Storage
We take the security of your personal information very seriously and utilize industry-standard security systems, software, and encryption technologies (Secure Sockets Layer) when transferring and storing personal data.
Transfer of personal information outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and international users
We will not transfer personal information, relating to individuals within the European Economic Area (“EEA”), to third parties located outside of the EEA without ensuring adequate protection under European law.
When a third party is located in a country not recognised by the EU Commission as ensuring an adequate level of protection, we will take appropriate steps, such as implementing standard contractual clauses recognised by the EU Commission, to safeguard your personal information.
We are headquartered in the United States. The information about you that we collect, process and/or use is controlled by The Humane League, and is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are visiting our site from outside the United States, be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is located. By using our site, you consent to any transfer of this information.
If you are located in another jurisdiction, the privacy protections and the rights of authorities to access your information in these countries may not be the same as in your home country. We take additional measures when information is transferred from the EEA. This includes having standard clauses approved by the European Commission in our contracts with parties that receive information outside the EEA. We also rely on European Commission adequacy decisions about certain countries, as applicable, for data transfers to countries outside the EEA.
How Long We Keep Your Personal Information
Third Party Websites
If any of the information that we have about you is incorrect, or you wish to have information removed from our records, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, if you prefer not to receive messages from us, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any message that you receive, or by sending a message to us at email@example.com.
EEA Resident Rights
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area, you have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update, or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information, or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by emailing us at email@example.com.
- You have the right to opt-out of communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the "unsubscribe" or "opt-out" link in the emails we send you. You can also update the types of messages you would like to receive from us by clicking on the “update preferences” link in the emails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws. Notwithstanding the foregoing, we reserve the right to keep any information in our archives that we deem necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
If you have updates for us:
If you would like to update any of the information we have on file for you, including your contact preferences, please use the contact information listed below to let us know and we will be happy to make those changes for you. Additionally, if you prefer not to receive messages from us, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link within any message that you receive, or by sending a message to us at email@example.com.
If we have updates for you:
The Humane League
PO Box 10476
Rockville, MD 20849